- 1 cup brown lentils
- ~2 cups basmati rice
- chicken bouillon
- 3 onions, chopped
- olive oil
- canola oil
- Cover lentils in water so that they are covered by 1/2 inch of water. Add chicken bouillon cube and 1 tbsp cumin. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add rice and more water to cover the mix by 1/4 – 1/2 inch water. Cover and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes (or until done).
- In a skillet, saute the onions in canola oil until they are brown, about 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, fry up some ketchup in olive oil. Add srirracha, 1 tsp cumin, and salt to taste. Fry it for at least 5 minutes.
- To serve: top rice with onions, add tomato sauce to the side. Salt/pepper to taste.
You can also serve this with a side of plain macaroni and/or green salad. It’s a lunch thing. Also, most people use plain yogurt instead of tomato sauce.