I invented this stew tonight, it went great with the homemade bread I made.
- 2 green Mexican Squashes, chopped
- 2 yellow squashes, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 chicken thighs (or use chicken stock)
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- Brown the chicken in a few tbsp oil and remove from the pan.
- Saute the onion with some salt until soft. Add chopped squash, garlic, bay leaves & spices, and tomatoes. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and cover with water (or chicken broth). Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.
You can also serve this over rice pilaf or mashed potatoes.
I’m using the leftovers to make soup: Add carrots and a bit more yellow squash boiled with chicken bones/stock and topped with parsley-mint pistou (summer squash soup/pistou recipe & image below from smittenkitchen)