Brian’s mom enabled me to make these: she bought me two madeline pans! These are light and not too sweet or buttery. They are perfect! But, I must confess that I did not beat the eggs until the required stiffness, I whipped them to soft peaks (about 20 minutes) and they still turned out light and soft 🙂
Ingredients: (yields 24 cakes)
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 1/2 -2/3 cup sugar (or honey)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 cup melted and cooled unsalted butter
I suggest that you use a hand mixer 🙂
- Grease and flour the madeline pans and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat the eggs and salt. Add the sugar gradually and beat until the mix stands in very stiff peaks. The amount will almost double in size and the color will lighten, it takes about 20 minutes, no joke.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour 1/4 cup at a time.
- Add the butter about 1 tsbp at a time and fold in quickly.
- Fill the madeline trays immediately. Fill to ~3/4 full, place in the lower half of the oven and bake for 1o minutes.