So I have only eaten meatloaf twice in my life: at Mel’s Diner two months ago, and last night when I made it for the dinner. This recipe is from Brian’s mom, and of course, it’s decorated with Nassy twists. I would have taken a picture, but in case you haven’t noticed, my camera SUCKS and I’ve given up (for now).
You can use any ground meat you like, just make it total up to 2 lbs in the end. Ground turkey, chicken, pork, sausage, beef, veal, venison/rabbit/ostrich/bison/duck/lamb/horse/Cornish hen?—that’s up to you.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 lb spicy pork sausage (left over from the spaghetti squashapalooza)
- 1/2 – 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 small white onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of curly parsley, finely minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- salt & pepper (1/2 tsp total)
Other things I would have like to have added (but not all at once):
- minced red bell pepper
- tomato paste
- spicy brown mustard
- red bell pepper paste
- crushed red pepper
- fennel seeds, crushed
- soy sauce (I’ve heard this deepens the meat flavor, omit the salt)
- Purple basil/Sweet basil
- Mix everything together in a large bowl.
- Put into a 9×5 loaf pan and top with ketchup.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 90 minutes.
- Slice and serve with gravy or ketchup.
Sides: mashed potatoes, steamed carrots, sautéed onion, garlic, yellow squash, zucchini, & parsley, sautéed shredded Brussel sprouts, braised carrots, salad, fennel & beetroot salad, green beans, peas, creamed spinach, asparagus, corn, etc.