recipe and images via smitten kitchen
Makes 4 cups of pickles, filling a 1-quart jar.
- 1 pound cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick — “pickling” or kirby cucumbers work best here
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups sugar (see note above)
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (if ground, use 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
In a medium bowl, combine the cucumbers, onion and salt. Mix well. Cover the mixture with ice. Let stand at room temperature for two hours.In a pot, bring sugar, vinegar and spices to a boil. Drain cucumbers and onions. Add to vinegar mixture and bring almost back to a boil. Remove from heat and cool. You can store the pickles in an airtight container for up to three weeks in the fridge. They will begin tasting pickled in just a couple of hours.
I making this recipe as I’m blogging this, but without onion and celery seed, and with 1/2 cup of sugar and t tbsp of black mustard seeds. I’m still waiting for it to pickle, but I’ll update you on how it turns out. YAY Pickles!