This is a delicious veggie side to any hearty meat-centered meal (or pesce-centered). Simple, easy, healthy. Cheap?
- ~1 lb asparagus spears
- olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced (optional)
- If your oven has a broiler use it, otherwise preheat your oven to 450.
- Wash the asparagus. Cut off the ends by breaking one spear and using it as a guide to cut the whole bunch. If you’ve never done this: hold one spear at each end, and gently pull each end downward until the spear snaps.
- Toss the asparagus with olive oil and garlic. The garlic often burns in the oven–so be wary of that.
- Transfer the asparagus to a cookie sheet and if you can, spread them out. If you aren’t using garlic, forgo the toss and just drizzle olive oil over the asparagus while it’s on the cookie sheet.
- Cook them for about 15 minutes in the broiler and 20-30 minutes in the oven. Watch them! They’re done when they are a bit wrinkly looking, they will be brown on the bottom. You can turn them over halfway through cook time if you like. While the broiler is the faster method for cooking, the oven yields a better taste (slow cooking rocks!).
What goes best with asparagus?
Many people say fish, but that’s so cliche. It’s good with whatever potatoes are good with: usually meat. It’s also a good side to tomato based dishes, like red rice or pasta, and a nice compliment to spicy food as well.