This is my old roommate Kelly’s recipe–and it’s the best thing I’ve ever tasted, but the worst thing that’s entered my life. Pieces of this cake don’t look very appetizing, they look like lemon bars, but they are SO, SO good–especially with coffee in the morning.
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix or vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Stick of Butter (1/2 cup) softened
- 1 8-oz package of Cream Cheese softened (or microwaved for a few seconds)
- 1 box minus 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (14 oz.)
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
1. Preheat your oven to 325 (300 for glass pan) and grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Mix the Cake Mix, Butter, 1 Egg, and Almond Extract in a bowl. It’s easier with an electric mixer. This should be a dry cake batter. Press it into the cake pan and form an even layer–use your fingers or a spatula.
3. Mix the Cream Cheese, Powdered Sugar, and 1 Egg in a bowl. Pour this on top of the cake mixture in the pan, creating two layers.
4. Bake for 45 minutes. Check at the half point, sometimes it takes 30 minutes, sometimes 50–so watch it. It’s done when the top of the cake is brown and cracked (the bottom layer will be brown as well).
** this cake I pulled out of the oven too early–it makes a creamier top layer that my friends like, but I prefer it when the top layer is crusty and caramelized. It needed ten more minutes in my opinion.
You can also make a cheesecake version by using 2 packages of cream cheese instead of just 1, it’s really good with fresh strawberries.
You can use lemon cake mix too, but if you do, use Vanilla Extract in place of Almond–or half/half mixture of the two.
What else can I eat with this?
a soulful conversation